Baking: Brownie Butter Cake

by - 17:51

I came across the recipe for this cake about a week ago now and as soon as I saw the picture of the finished product I knew I had to make it! One of the things I love doing when I get a free couple of hours is baking and although I usually stick to the same few recipes (Brownies, Banana Bread, Victoria Sponge etc.) I decided to try something a little different and more labour intensive.

The recipe I used for this cake was created by one of the bakers on Rasa Malaysia, a recipe site that centers around Asian cuisine and baking. The bottom layer of the cake is a fudge-brownie while the top layer is a basic butter cake recipe: what's not to like?!


For the Brownie:
140g Dark Chocolate (broken into pieces)
50g Unsalted Butter
50g Brown Soft Sugar
1 Egg
35g Plain Flour
For the Butter Cake
120g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
120g Plain Flour
¼ tsp Baking powder
50ml Fresh Milk


Method 

Preheat oven to 180C and line/grease a 1lb loaf tin. The Brownie layer is made first by melting the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat.


Once melted, remove from the heat and thoroughly mix in the sugar and egg. Stir in the flour and then pour it into the prepared loaf tin. Also be sure to do what I didn't and spread it out as much as possible so that it covers the whole of the bottom of the tin as this will be what creates the definitive separation between chocolate and butter sponge!


Cook the brownie for about 10-15 minutes whilst you make up the Butter Cake batter. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together until it is pale and light in texture. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoonful of sifted flour for each one to prevent the mixture from curdling. Sift in the rest of the flour and baking powder and then add the milk.


Bring the oven temperature down to 160C and spoon the mixture evenly over the partially cooked brownie, then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the Butter Cake layer comes out clean.


Leave the cake to cool in the tin (maybe pet a dog whilst you're waiting) then turn out onto a cooling rack. The next challenge is to try not to eat it all in one sitting...



Even though my version of this cake didn't go entirely to plan (I had some problems with oven temperatures so the Butter Cake didn't rise as much as it could have) it was still incredibly delicious and full of sweet, rich flavours. It is almost like a sweeter, butter-y and more fudgey version of a  Marble Cake and even though mine didn't turn out perfect I still ate almost half of it before anyone else in my house even realised I had been baking...woopsie!

Hopefully this has inspired you to have a little baking session of your own, or just go and buy some cake and eat it. Either way is good.

For the exact recipe that I used, click here. The only thing I would change is to double the brownie mixture as there was an uneven ratio between Brownie and Butter cake - other than that it's perfect!

Stay inspired!

You May Also Like

0 comments