Training for the Muddy Dog Challenge!

by - 17:56

As some of you may already know, this year I am taking part in a 5k muddy obstacle course with my dog Millie in order to raise money for Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. The event was organised by the Home itself and will take place on 10th May in London this year and I'm really looking forward to it! I've never taken part in any sporting event, let alone one that involves me getting muddy, tackling an obstacle course AND dragging my Labrador along with me through all of this.

I posted about this initially when I signed up back in January (read the original post here) and not long after sharing the post on Twitter I received a message from Battersea's digital media team asking if I would like to be featured on their website/social media/e-mails to provide some motivation for others who may be looking to take part. I, of course, said yes! I sent over some pictures of me and Millie on our first training session as well as a short piece on why I was taking part and what I was most looking forward to about the event. If you're interested in taking part or want to read more on why I decided to join the event, visit their website here.

Here are the pictures that I took at the time and I'm pleased to say that things are a lot more under control now!

For a start, Millie has actually taken to running beside me and I've also found that I'm not as a awful a runner as initially feared. In fact, I actually quite enjoy it! I've probably averaged about 3.5-4km on my runs so far and Millie has been able to keep up too.

I've managed to raise £53 so far which I'm super pleased with and am grateful to all who have already donated. I have always wanted to do something for charity and I feel like this is a good place to start. I already have three dogs and two cats of my own but I always wish I could have more so they wouldn't have to spend their days waiting in a rescue centre! I guess the next best thing is to raise some money for the charity so they can continue to give the animals in their centre all the love and care they need.

Here are some of the adorable dogs and cats that are currently up for adoption at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home (aka the ones I would adopt for sure if I could!):

Age 1 Years 4 Months
Breed Saluki
Sex Female
Size Medium
Centre Battersea
Child Suitability I'd rather not live with children
Live with Dogs I am happy around other dogs and I may be able to live with one
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I do not like cats
Reference 306616

Age 0 Years 6 Months
Breed Terrier: Staff Bull
Sex Female
Size Medium
Centre Old Windsor
Child Suitability I may be able to live with teenagers
Live with Dogs I am happy around other dogs and I may be able to live with one
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I may be able to live with a cat


Age 2 Years 6 Months
Breed Mongrel
Sex Male
Size Medium
Centre Old Windsor
Child Suitability I'd rather not live with children
Live with Dogs I don't mind other dogs but I would prefer to live alone
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I may be able to live with a cat
Reference 321140

Age 2 Years 6 Months
Breed Mongrel
Sex Male
Size Medium
Centre Old Windsor
Child Suitability I'd rather not live with children
Live with Dogs I don't mind other dogs but I would prefer to live alone
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I may be able to live with a cat
Reference 32114


It's baffling to me how anyone could resist those cheeky smiles and puppy dog eyes - if I could I would take them all home to love forever! I always feel especially sorry for older dogs that are in rehoming centres as I feel like they should have somewhere nice and cosy to sleep out their retirement days! Every pup is deserving of loving homes where they can get the attention and individual love that they all want and need.


Age 7 Years 5 Months
Breed Domestic Medium-hair
Sex Male
Size Medium
Centre Battersea
Child Suitability I may be able to live with older children
Live with Dogs
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I would prefer not to live with another cat
Reference 321896

Age 4 Years 0 Months
Breed Domestic Short-hair
Sex Female
Size Medium
Centre Battersea
Child Suitability I may be able to live with teenagers
Live with Dogs I would prefer not to live with a dog
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I would prefer not to live with another cat
Reference 322333







Age 1 Years 3 Months
Breed Domestic Short-hair
Sex Female
Size Medium
Centre Battersea
Child Suitability I'd rather not live with children
Live with Dogs I would prefer not to live with a dog
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I would prefer not to live with another cat
Reference 322015


Age 17 Years 0 Months
Breed Persian
Sex Male
Size Medium
Centre Brands Hatch
Child Suitability I may be able to live with teenagers
Live with Dogs I would prefer not to live with a dog
Ideal Location I can live in just about any location
Live with Cats I would prefer not to live with another cat
Reference 320942

I think most kitties look a little bit grumpy/nonplussed in photos but you know that once you got to meet them they'd be absolute sweethearts who would purr like crazy. My personal favourite has got to be Mushka: at 17 you can tell that he would be king of the castle wherever he went, though it does look like he has a bit of  catnip obsession...

All of these animals are waiting patiently for a forever home that they all deserve and there are so many others like them, both at Battersea and at other rescue centres all over the country. As an owner of two rescue dogs myself, I would definitely advise considering adoption rather than buying a puppy/kitten from a breeder. To give you an idea of the scale of animals in need of new homes, Battersea rescues, on average, 13 dogs and 8 cats every day. That's a whole lot of animals that wanna give their love to someone!

It costs £18.4 million to care for Battersea Dogs and Cats Home's animals each year. Battersea Dogs & Cats Home receives no central government funding towards the care of its dogs and cats and relies on the generosity and support of the public.

If you'd consider giving even just £1 or £2 I would be super grateful and you would be making a difference to all the animals that need Battersea and its services, either currently or in the future. I may not be able to adopt all of the cats and dogs that are in need of a home, but I can sure as hell run my butt off to raise money to help them whilst they wait for their new home and family and to also support Battersea in the other projects that they organise to help animals in need. There is a link to my JustGiving in the sidebar of my blog, I really hope you'll consider donating to Battersea through me and in return you get to see me and Millie get and good and dirty in a couple of month's time!

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this particularly heavy post this week!

Stay inspired,








You May Also Like

0 comments