Thought Journal: Memory Storage

by - 17:36


A delicious meal. A concert. A seaside holiday. A romantic evening. Your dog wearing sunglasses. All of these moments are ones that can be captured in two ways: digitally or mentally. How much do you want to remember this moment? Are you worried that you won't remember it well enough if you have no digital evidence? Furthermore, do you want to share that digital memory with your friends and family and possibly the world?

With the involvement of smartphones and nigh on superfluous internet connection, sharing your personal experience of a moment is easy. You simply point, click and upload, right? Maybe add a cool tag line, a location and even how you're feeling at that time. For some, this is a literal way of aiding their memory and allowing them to relive moments by looking back through their Facebook or Instagram profile. For others (and I'll admit that I sometimes fall into this category) the motive for your upload is only partially down to aiding your memory. The other part is a little bit more like "Hey! Look at me! Look at what I'm doing! I bet you wish you were me right now!" Juuuust a little bit.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this as although it can be seen as gloating, it's also kind of a celebration of your situation or something that you deem to be worthy of a place on your wall and the timelines of your friends or followers.

I'm mainly active on Instagram and the pictures I choose to post range from images of meals, smoothies and my baking efforts to selfies and shots of me on nights out with my friends to snaps of my dogs being goofballs. Sometimes I upload purely for my benefit, knowing that the picture may not make sense or be relatable to my followers but the majority of the time I choose to upload images that I know other people will appreciate and like (which may result in an actual 'like'). 

Personally, I feel that there are some pictures that would be better off staying in your phone/camera/laptop storage. Not because they are rude or not likeable but purely because, sometimes, it's good not to share e v e r y t h i n g. Intimate moments with a loved one, a game with friends or family, a long and much needed catch up over coffee: these moments are so human and 'real' in their nature that to capture the moment digitally and share it for the sake of making it known is to defile it (even if the coffee was at Starbucks).

So what if you didn't get a ton of pictures to commemorate that event? Are we losing the ability to commit things to memory or accept that there will be things that will be lost in the muddle of your brain's storage system? 

Pictures are an amazing thing and they can be captured so easily now. I know that I've looked back over snaps of friends or family or even myself and felt so grateful that we have the technology to preserve the past a little better. But I think we're in danger of getting ahead of ourselves and losing touch with the realness of moments. There's nothing wrong with wanting to remember something, but what will be the point if you spent much of that time trying to get the perfect shot for Instagram?

Stay inspired,






You May Also Like

0 comments