Macarons!

by - 17:00


I love these little French cookies. They're aesthetically pleasing, delicious and always feel like a luxury. The problem with these beauties? They really don't seem to want to be made. Not without a great deal of care, precision and patience anyway!

 
I attempted making macarons a couple of years ago and although they looked right, the texture inside wasn't great and they were pretty hollow. After troubleshooting my problems I was told that the mixture was most likely overbeaten. I gave up on the idea of baking them for a while (with a 2-3 hour total make time, they aren't exactly the kind of thing you can just quickly trial) until I attended a Macaron cooking class as part of my 22nd birthday present from my dad.


The class took place at the Waitrose Cookery School in London and taught me a completely different - and far more fool proof - way of making these little terrors of a bake! I picked up lots of useful hints and tips and came away with a basic recipe and understanding of what I needed to do to be more successful in my macaron baking endeavours.


Essentially, the key things to remember are to be precise with measurements, thorough with ingredients (sift all dry ingredients, use slightly older egg whites etc.) and above all, be attentive and patient throughout the preparation and baking process. Other than that, try to follow a good recipe as closely as possible and hope for the best!


The image below shows the two ways of making macarons, the method that I've found to be most foolproof but requires a little more precision/equipment is the Italian meringue method. I will attempt the French meringue method again to see if I'm any better but for now I'm happy not taking that risk!

How to make macarons//:
The best advice I can give if you want to have a go for the first time is to watch some videos showing you how to best incorporate the mixture as this is the part which does require some skill and knowledge. I would allow 2 to 2.5 hours to make these but it's incredibly satisfying to see those little ruffles forming and they're delicious even if they don't go 100% right!

Good luck to any who attempt these: after a certain point you just have to say a little prayer to the macaron gods and hope it all goes well!

Stay inspired,
 

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. Omg they look so tasty and cute!

    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Half the reason I make them is just to admire their pretty appearance (and then eat them of course!)

      xo

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness you made these!!?? They look incredible! I've not been brave enough to try yet but i'm desperate too.. perhaps I'll give them a go now!

    www.itssarahann.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! :) I would definitely say give them a go - especially if you have a digital/candy thermometer for the Italian method. Some of these ones were a bit hollow so I haven't got it perfect yet, but you can just compensate with extra buttercream to make them look right haha ;)

      xo

      Delete
  3. Waitrose have a cookery school? This is very interesting news!

    Your macarons look beautiful, must be a ood one :)

    www.rosebudontheroad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They have three in London - I went to the Finchley Road location and it was so nice. The courses aren't too expensive and definitely worth it to get some professional advice.

      Thank you! It's definitely a fool proof recipe :)

      Georgie xo

      Delete