Why I Deleted All Social Media For A Week

by - 17:00



Hello friends!
So, I have a confession to make....I have an addiction to my phone. Namely an addiction to mindlessly scrolling through Twitter and Instagram in an attempt to entertain myself/avoid doing things I have to do.
 
Last Tuesday I was in a bad place. And, as with any addiction, when you're not doing great overall it's a lot harder to stay strong. (Side note: I am in no way trying to suggest that being addicted to social media is the same as something like an addiction to substances, but it's an addiction nonetheless, and a very common one at that.)
 
  I started to feel ridiculous and annoyed at myself: why was I sitting there looking at other people's lives and making no effort to live my own? And the fact that I still couldn't stop scrolling showed me that I had a problem.

That Tuesday night, I uninstalled all social media apps off of my phone and iPad; that meant that Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook all went and, initially, it felt like a massive relief! I put my phone on to charge and went to bed.

Waking up the next day was...different. I usually use my phone to effectively force myself to wake up by scrolling through Instagram or Twitter but without anything installed I actually managed to get up easier and quicker, because I knew that if I didn't get up then I would fall back to sleep!
As the week went on, I found that it was surprisingly easy and refreshing to not have social media always there in the background. I stayed focused on tasks better and used the extra space in my phone to install a few 'mindfulness' apps (namely Headspace and Forest).

Being away from all of these social sites made me reconsider my online image and reassess how much I want to share online. I do really like updating people on certain aspects of my life and I enjoy looking back through my profiles to reminisce, but I definitely realised that I was beginning to share more and more as I spent more time online, and it wasn't really necessary.

It's all kind of relative: if you're only online a couple of times a day, then it makes sense to only share one picture every day/couple of days. But when you're refreshing Twitter/Instagram/Facebook a couple of times an hour, you feel as though you're behind if you don't put up two or three updates a day! One of the things I found was that I would think of something clever or interesting and be like "ooh I could tweet that!" and would then think "But do I really need to share that?"

I feel like it's easy to get stuck in the online world and have it replace real connections and activities. As a blogger, I'm involved in certain blogging communities which, obviously, share a lot more than usual online which meant I could never just quickly scroll through Twitter, because there's always so much happening! Of course, there's nothing really wrong with spending time online, and it's great that we have all these outlets to do so, but when it starts to loom over your actual life, it can be become unhealthy. 

I want to enjoy my social media platforms, but I also want to live a real, full life. In a way, I think that people who are around my age (18-24) are in a weird gap between people who have always had mobile phones/social media around them and those who have had it introduced to them later in life and already know how to live properly.

For that reason, I think my age group have it a little harder because we've kind of progressed with everything as it's been happening, and as such are having a harder time adjusting. But that's just a theory of mine!

Spending less time on my phone was one of my New Year's Resolutions and, evidently, I'm still working on it, but I'm trying new things and seeing what works for me: I think that a little 'social media holiday' every now and then will definitely help me to feel more in touch with the real world.

Have you experienced an unhealthy addiction to your phone/social media? What were some of the ways that you dealt with it?
Stay inspired,
post signature

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. What an interesting experiment!! It is sometimes hard not to get addicted to social media, but it is very important to find balance.

    Kisses,
    Marta
    www.martamademoiselle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about balance really! But it's nice to take a break from the online world sometimes :)

      Thanks for reading!
      Georgie xo

      Delete
  2. I've written about digital detoxes before and I think they're SO important. Just taking a step back from the constant refreshing of links and pages can be so beneficial but I've never actually deleted the apps before. I'm so intrigued to see how this would work for me that I might actually give it a go myself! I wonder if whatsapp counts?

    www.damzelinthisdress.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get sucked into the world of constantly refreshing social media and it's always good to take a step back I think. I personally didn't include whatsapp because I use it instead of texting and I didn't want to be completely cut off from the world haha!

      Thanks for commenting :) xo

      Delete