5 Things I've Learnt About Long Term Relationships

by - 17:00


Personally, I love being in a relationship. I love the support, I love the closeness to another person and I basically just love all that typical, cutesy, lovey dovey couple stuff. I also totally understand the bitterness that some people feel when they have to witness the aforementioned couple-related things, but I'd like to think that that's secretly because they wish they could also have it! (Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to be single...but that's another post ;-) )


I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend, David, for five years this week. We dated before that when we were in school for about half a year and we've known each other for eight years in total - that's pretty crazy considering we're only 22!

We've been through a hell of a lot together, and have been there for each other through everything: both the good and the bad. We've both learnt a lot throughout the process and we both appreciate what we've worked for! Long term relationships take effort to keep them happy and healthy, but if you're with the right person it's definitely worth it.


Here are the things that I've learnt so far: 
  1. If you weren't already, you'll become best friends. We tell each other everything and I can trust him to not judge me no matter what I may tell or show to him (and sometimes it's preeetty weird!)
2. Although you still prefer to spend as much as time as possible together, it's definitely important to have your own space. If you can be comfortable and confident doing your own thing it makes for a much healthier relationship, as you are both coming in as your own 'whole'.

3. It won't be 100% passion, 100% of the time and that's good! There should be a natural ebb and flow in the relationship. Fighting all the time isn't right but neither is being so smitten you can't get anything done (although I don't really mind the latter!)

4. Planning for a future together is normal and important. It depends what kind of person you are, but for me if I can't see myself being with that person for the foreseeable future, it won't last long. 

5. With the right person, it becomes the best thing in the world. It's one of my biggest accomplishments and greatest source of pleasure - there's nothing quite like love and having a source of support and closeness is great.

I'm so happy with David, we've worked hard both in our separate lives and our relationship to ensure that we're both in a good place and can have the best possible relationship and adventures. I hope we have many more years to enjoy together!

 Aaannndd that's it for the soppy stuff - for now! Being single is definitely great too, but that's not where I'm at right now and so I'm really not one to talk on the subject!

Are you a relationship type of person? Or do you prefer the single life? (Or a bit of both?!) Are there any key things you've learnt from either?

Stay inspired,


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Aw this is such a cute post!! You and David seem like the perfect couple! I definitely agree that your partner becomes your best friend when you've been together that long, it's wonderful to have that much support and love! This was a really heartwarming post! ☺️

    Abbey ✨ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two look like such a fab couple! I've been with my boyfriend 2 years and he is my best friend :) I agree that it's so nice to have the support and someone always on your team. Great post!

    Y x | The Sweet Seven Five

    ReplyDelete