My Problem With The 'Grind' Trend

by - 11:00


Is it just me, or does the whole of Instagram seem to be obsessed with 'rising' and 'grinding', 'slaying' all day and 'hustling'? Other social media platforms have some of this content too, but there seems to be a strong undercurrent on a lot of popular Instagram posts which suggests that you need to be grinding your butt off in order to be classed as worthy. 

At first, I found these kinds of posts motivating and even reposted a few to my own profile: I wanted to do well and be the best and that really wasn't a bad attitude to have! The problem started whenever I'd have an off day, or feel unwell or just not in the mood. I was putting so much pressure on myself that whenever I couldn't give 100% I would experience feelings of low self-worth and guilt. 
When I went back to uni to start my Masters degree, I had to relearn how to totally propel and motivate myself through my workload; I was finding myself constantly feeling as though I wasn't good enough and that I needed to try harder. It's definitely a modern-day, consumerist notion to have people 'work hard' and 'play hard': the suggestion that you don't deserve that treat unless you've worked for it. 

In theory, that's a valid structure to give your life: put the work in and reward yourself, give yourself the down-time you deserve. But the level at which people are now expected to work is not only much higher but also allows for less 'reward' time, and that doesn't make for a happy existence. 
It is soooo beyond normal for humans to not be on top of their game 100% of the time and I really don't think there are enough outlets which promote a healthy existence. Even as we speak, corporations are looking to change the term 'work-life balance' to 'work-life blend' - just to make sure there really are no boundaries between your work and personal life!
Of course if you love your job and want to be successful, no matter the cost, then the Grind trend is exactly the thing for you. But there are a lot of people forced into this mentality who don't want it enough and it's causing a lot of unhappiness and stress. 
I can't even begin to tell you the difference in my mood when I don't work for most of the weekend (as well as every week day in between), or when I go home at 5.30pm instead of 7pm. It means that I have time to clear my head, indulge in some hobbies, cook a good meal for myself, do some yoga....the list goes on. Humans are, generally, a lot happier when their life feels balanced: it allows us to feel like there is some kind of control and order to what can be a very random and uncontrollable existence. 
Now when I see images promoting the Grind trend I'm able to take the motivation from it but not feel like I'm somehow doing something wrong because I'm not putting in as much effort as I could be. Everyone is on their own journey but it's important to make time for a lot of things outside of work and to reject the notion that if you aren't putting in crazy hours or thinking about your job all of the time that you are somehow a lesser person.
 
I wish there was more visible content online which promoted other important aspects of a healthy life such as eating well, taking part in fun activities and having personal hobbies which help you to grow. Having a job that you love and/or want to succeed in is a great thing to have, but it shouldn't be the only thing or the only focus. 

Stay inspired,

Image from Unsplash

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I agree with you - there's more to life than work and we all need to make sure we're looking after ourselves! What's the point in this hard work if we become too unwell to enjoy it? I enjoy my job (mostly) and I want to go further with it, while also building on my blog, but I definitely recognise that taking time out for myself is essential.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Wellbeing & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It can be far more damaging than we think and a lot of people don't realise the toll it's taking until it's too late sometimes. That's good that you make time for yourself, it really does make such a difference to your overall wellbeing.

      Thank you for commenting :)

      Georgie xo

      Delete